Clean your oven in 10 easy steps
Here at WunderCleans, two of our favourite green eco-friendly cleaning products are baking soda and white vinegar. Not only are they better for you and the environment than the cleaning chemicals you might pick up at the shops, they are also highly effective. The baking soda is a mild abrasive which helps to dislodge the dirt, and the white vinegar is a mild natural acid which reacts with the baking soda to lift dirt off the surface.
What you’ll need
– Baking soda. We use Arm & Hammer, which you can pick up on Amazon.
– White vinegar. This is actually a little harder to find. We’ve picked up some large 5 litre in a local Chinese foods shop – otherwise Amazon is as usual another good option.
– Plastic scraper.
– Paper towels.
– Empty cleaning product spray bottle.
1. Remove all the shelves and trays from the oven, and put to the side. We have a separate blog entry about how to clean your oven racks.
2. Take a tea cup or similar, and make a paste using baking soda and a few drips of water.
3. Later the paste on the whole of the inside of the oven, including the inside oven window.
4. The key to this is to leave this for at least a few hours, and overnight if possible. You’ll start to see the paste darkening as it begins to lift the dirt off the surface.
5. After it’s been left for a sufficiently long time, take some paper towels and brush off the loose baking soda paste.
6. Pour half a cup full of white vinegar into the empty spray bottle and add the same volume of water. Now spray this on all the inside surfaces of the oven. This will start to fizz and will help to lift any remaining dirt.
7. After 5-10 minutes, wipe down the excess baking soda / vinegar paste with paper towels.
8. Take some new paper towels and dampen with water to give the oven a final clean.
9. Put back your oven shelves and trays back into the oven. Check out our other blog for instructions on how to clean these.
10. Turn on oven to 100 degree centigrade for 15 minutes, and this will evaporate the water from the damp surface.
Of course, we would be happy to do this for you! Please take a look at our Services & Pricing or call us on 0203 397 4964 for further information.